Phone: 07956 376472
She started her career at T-Mobile (now EE) where her final role was managing consumer products with responsibility for £350m annual revenue: Her notable achievements there included taking T-Mobile to number 1 in picture messaging and being the first to activate Shazam in the UK. She then spent 3 years at a funded Web 2.0 startup called WeeWorld where she generated new digital revenue streams through mobile and virtual goods and was named by Harpers Bazaar as one of the UK’s top 40 entrepreneurs under 40. In 2010 she ran a project re-vitalising Brixton Village market, creating opportunities for many new local business and establishing a model for empty shops which has been adopted all over the country. At Pearson in 2015 she was one of the team winning Best Innovation Program at the Market Gravity Corporate Entrepreneur Awards in both USA and UK, beating many major brands.
Her particular specialism is in facilitating teams and business to apply people-centred Lean product development practice and creating the necessary business culture change. Her current clients include Pearson where she is a Product Coach, UCL & Sussex Universities where she teaches Product Innovation and innovating businesses where she runs “Lean” product focused workshops and Qualitative User Research projects.
Under 100 words:
Julia Shalet has spent over 20 years in product management, development and innovation. Her particular specialism is facilitating teams and business to apply people-centred “minimum waste” product development practice. Her current clients include Pearson where she is a Product Coach, UCL & Sussex Universities where she teaches Product Innovation and innovating businesses where she coaches and runs Qualitative User Research projects.
For testimonials, blogs, achievements and links to presentations, please go to productdoctor.co.uk.
Contact: @jewl / firstname.lastname@example.org / 07956 376472
Personal day-job related successes – all of which have contributed to the formulation of my approach:
Mobile telecoms: Various Product Roles through to Head of Product, 1993 -2005
- Saved £1.5m per annum by re-engineering registration process and delivered 60% improvement in customer and channel satisfaction
- Generated additional £1m revenue from deregulation of Directory Enquiries
- Killed a £10m investment in voice activated technology
- Generated new revenues through information services such as the AA
- Launched the first blackberry in the UK
- After 6 months as Head of Business Product, won independent industry award for the highest small business customer satisfaction
- Designed and launched the first mixed voice / text price plans in UK
- First to activate Shazam in the UK
- Responsibility for £350m revenue from mobile messaging portfolio; taking operator to number 1 in picture messaging regardless of overall number 4 market position
- Most innovative mobile campaigns for Picture Messaging for T-Mobile, Mobile News 2004
Funded Web 2.0 Start up: Director of Product & User Insights, 2005 – 2008
- Delivered new digital revenue streams of $1m per annum through virtual good sales
- Named by Harper’s Bazaar as one of the UK’s top 40 entrepreneurs under 40.
Brixton Village, Product Director: 2009 – 2010
- Directed the UK’s largest empty shops turnaround project in Brixton – still a thriving success story.
- Attracted personal press coverage including BBC London Inside Out, Brand Republic, The Independent & New Media Age.
- Named one of Britain’s New Radicals, Social Enterprises, 2012, The Guardian
The Mobile Academy, UCL : 2012 – 2015
- Designed and delivered a unique new-style CPD training programme at UCL recruiting and tutoring alongside over 50 mobile industry experts
- Attended by over 200 innovators from corporates through to students – many of whom progressed to launch successful new businesses
Pearson Education, Lean Coach: 2014 – 2017
- Helped to implement a new in-house designed framework for corporate lean product development best practices, investment management and portfolio management based on lean and agile principles.
- Our team received the Best Innovation Programme 2015 at the Corporate Entrepreneur Awards in New York and Best Innovation Culture in London
- Produced and co-authored the internal handbook for managing products through the product lifecycle using lean approaches in the Pearson environment
- Designed and ran the certified the internal Product Lifecycle Coach 12 week training program qualifying 60 coaches in Hong Kong and UK
Agile Practitioners Meetup
App Promotion Summit
App Promotion Summit London
Apps World (2 years running)
British Computer Society (BCS)
FFWD London Incubator
Idea London Startups (Cisco, UCL Engineering and EDF Energy)
15+ Schools for work related learning & enterprise
Numerous meet up networks
Over the Air Conference (5 years running)
Pearson BTECs & Apprenticeships
Pearson Hong Kong
Pearson Product Coach (5 different Cohorts)
Sport London – Sport Tech Hub
Sussex & South East Universities Physics PhDs
Tech Hub (London – Mike Butcher)
The Mobile Academy (UCL & Mobile Monday) (6 workshops a year for 3 years)
UCL Incubator for startups (4 years twice a year)
UCL Summer Programme for students
Wayra (Telefonica’s Accelerator)
Qualitative Research Projects:
Mobile Monday London
Pearson A Levels
Project Info Overload
Samsung Product A
Samsung Product B
Teen Panel Research session at Mobile Heroes Conference
Teen Panel Research session at Music 4.5
Teen Panel Research session at Over the Air conference
The Mobile Academy (UCL)
Traveline / Next Buses
West Norwood Feast